This soup is simple and delicious, my favourite combination. Originally this recipe came from the Hollyhock Cookbook!
Lemon Lentil Soup
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Garlic, crushed
- 1.5 cups Carrot, diced
- 1 cup Potato, diced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Lentils
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- At least 5 cups water or stock
- 1/3 cup fresh Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh Dill, chopped
- 4 cups Greens, chopped (spinach, chard, kale, mustard, sorrel….)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, bay leaves until potatoes just beginning to soften. About 15 min.
- Rinse lentils and add them to pot with celery. Continue to saute 5 min. Add water/stock, cover and simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender. About 15 min.
- Just before serving, remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice, dill, and greens. Stir until greens are wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.