I’d been meaning to make these brownies for a while and what better time to try a new sweet treat than with sweet friends. We were invited over for a supper of Pad Thai and I’m contributing this dessert which is full on ooey gooey goodness! I highly recommend trying these brownies!
Here’s what I did:
Browned Butter Cocoa Brownies with Walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 2 tsp Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325’F. Line an 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper, cutting a slit down each of the corners so the paper overlaps to make a proper corner. Grease the parchment with butter or oil.
- Coarsely chop walnuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir often and cook until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat and immediately add to sugar/cocoa mixture with water and vanilla. Whisk to combine and then let cool a couple minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking vigourously to blend after each addition.
- When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and use a spatula to stir until blended.
- Fold in nuts and then transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake brownies for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out almost clean. You want to slightly undercook brownies. Cool in pan on rack.
- Using the parchment, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 16 pieces.