This gluten free soup wasn’t nearly as popular as I’d have imagined it might be. Cam and I loved it, the kids not so much but then my kids didn’t grow up eating cheese the way we did. Cheese is a relatively new food for them and they enjoy it in moderation; this soup was a bit too creamy/cheesy for their liking. Did I mention that Cam and I loved it though? I had decided to make it after seeing a picture of broccoli cheddar soup on a magazine while I waited in the grocery line up. I’ll make this soup again, but maybe when company’s calling and there are other options on the menu as well.
Here’s what I did:
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Soup
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk Celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Broccoli, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 cups Stock
- 1/2 cup Quinoa Flakes
- 2 cups Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup grated organic Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the stock and quinoa flakes. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the broccoli is soft.
- Add milk and grated cheddar, stirring gently. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with freshly made croutons.