I could have sworn it was Kristy that originally pointed me in the direction of this recipe online but of course in the moment I try to, I can’t find where. Imagine my surprise to also see this recipe in the new-to-me cook book (Super Natural Cooking) on the same day my garbanzo beans were soaked and ready to be made into these burgers. It was meant to be. You will need a few days to sprout the beans and micro spouts ahead of time.
These were so fresh tasting and delicious. So delicious in fact, that we ate them two nights in a row; the second I made home made brioche style burger buns as well. Wow, did those buns make the burgers even more fantastic!
Sprouted Garbanzo Bean Burgers
- 2 1/2 cups Garbanzo Beans, spouted with about 1/4 inch tails
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Cilantro, minced
- zest from 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Micro Spouts, chopped
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs (I used Panko)
- Steam the spouted garbanzos until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Combine steams garbanzos, eggs and salt in a food processor and process until the mixture is a thick, slightly chunky hummus.
- Pour into a large bowl and mix in the cilantro, lemon zest and micro spouts. Stir in the bread crumbs and allow to sit a few minutes, letting the crumbs absorb some of the moisture.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a cast iron pan. Form twelve 1 1/2 inch thick burger patties and cook four at a time until golden.