We don’t cook with a lot of meat and almost never use dairy so this may seem like a strange meal for us. I was very happy with how this meal turned out! It was so delicious!
There is no such thing as “local non medicated” chicken here like there was in Nanaimo. I did the best I could and bought the best quality chicken available at the grocery store. That isn’t saying that much though which is why this is only the second time I’ve purchased chicken in a year and a half of living here.
Here’s what I did:
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 tbsp Oil (I used non gmo canola)
- 1 1/2- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts, boneless skinless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 28 oz can crushed Tomatoes
- 5 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- In large, heavy pot over medium heat sauté onions in oil until caramelized.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook until just fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and cook over low-medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in yogurt.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or with naan bread. (I warmed peas in the rice before it was fully finished cooking.)