I love how simple these burritos are. Simple and delicious. I have my friend Carolina to thank for this fabulous recipe. Homemade burritos are so much better with homemade tortillas. Here’s the my recipe. Try them and you’ll never want to buy expensive, tasteless, processed tortillas from the grocery store again!
Black Bean and Yam Burritos
- 2 Yams, cubed
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Black Beans
- 1-2 Carrots, shredded (optional. I often add extra veg depending on what’s in my fridge.)
- 1 cup Water or Stock
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cilantro, chopped or minced
- Boil yams in large pot until tender. Drain water from tender yams, return to pot and set aside.
- While yams are cooking sauté onions until translucent.
- Add black beans, carrots (or other veg), water or stock, garlic, chilli powder, mustard, cumin and salt. Simmer, uncovered over med-high heat for 15 min.
- Once bean mixture is done, add yams and cilantro and mash all together with potato masher.
- Serve in tortillas with shredded lettuce, avocado or guacamole, salsa or anything else you’d enjoy in a bean burrito.
Don’t just take my word for it. Lily and Leif both approve of this meal!