I’ve made this pesto so many times since first finding the recipe online and keep promising Paxye to post the recipe, so here it is- finally.
I’m not a huge eggplant fan after eating some bad baba ganoush one time in a restaurant but I’m slowing learning to enjoy it again with this recipe and another eggplant favourite, Thai Peanut Tofu. This pesto is so delicious and I love that it’s oil free. Even eggplant phobic people with love it!
Roasted Eggplant Pesto
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1/4 cup Whole Almonds
- 2 Sun-Dried Tomatoes (not oil-packed. Soak in hot water if they are really dry)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Basil Leaves, lightly packed
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Salt to taste
- At least 2 hours before using (and up to overnight) soak almonds in a bowl completely covered with water. Allow to soak at room temperature. Drain water before using.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Trim off and discard the stem end of eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pierce the backs of the eggplant with a fork in a few places. Bake until completely soft and somewhat collapsed, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. This can be done ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Put the almonds, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic into food processor and pulse to chop. Peel the eggplant and add it, the basil, and the nutritional yeast and process to a coarse puree. Add salt to taste and pulse to blend.