This recipe comes from an old cook book we had growing up. It’s tattered and worn with lots of use. I don’t make these cookies often enough. They’re tasty and you can adjust the recipe easily to change the flavours subtly and add icing.
Simple Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2- 1 tbsp Lemon or other citrus Zest
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, unbeaten
- 2 tbsp Milk (I use almond)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat oven to 400′
- In large bowl blend together butter, salt, zest and sugar.
- Beat in egg and milk.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and soda.
- Either roll out and cut shapes or roll into balls and then flatten slightly with the bottom of a round cup. Place on lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle cookies with nutmeg or sugar or dust with icing sugar or leave plain if you’ll add icing later.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until light golden. Don’t overbake!!
- Cool on a rack.
Quick Citrus Icing
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon or other citrus Zest
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Water
- Combine all and blend until smooth. If too thick, add a bit more juice. Ice cookies when they’re cool.