This hearty salad makes a great meal, especially for those hot days where you want to eat something cool and yet not totally raw. I think it would make a great dish to take to a picnic or potluck as well. I know I’ll be making this dish often!
This recipe originally came from the White Water Cooks cookbook.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup raw Quinoa
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups or 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 2 cups Corn
- 2 Red Peppers, diced
- 1-2 tsp Garlic Chili Paste or 1 fresh Chile, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Black Beans, cooked
- 1 large Tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa and set aside.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add paprika and stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa, water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10- 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender but still a little chewy.
- In a skillet, heat oil and sauté onions, garlic, cumin and coriander until onions are translucent.
- Stir in corn, red peppers, chili paste and cilantro. Sauté for another 5 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and sautéed veggies and chill for 15 minutes.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.