Life is a little temperamental these days. The long standing poor weather has been playing a part and I’ve been sick with varying flu like symptoms for the last week. I’m not doubting that I have the flu but I think stress has been making the flu overstay it’s welcome. Fortunately, the kids and Cam haven’t caught what I have despite all the cuddles and kisses they’re giving me to comfort.
Last week was my 33rd birthday and I spent the day withering in bed with stomach pains. It’s a real downer to miss one’s birthday. Yesterday was Cam and my 11th anniversary and again I’m not well enough to celebrate.
I’m not sure what to do about the stress in my life. On the one hand, I think the obvious stressers are frivolous and on the other, I think if only life were so simple that I could make a list of the things putting strain on my life and have that fix anything. If only I could cut back on the hours I spend at the office or spend less time in traffic. It’s just not that easy. I’m a sensitive person. If you don’t know me well, you may not realise this fact. The stress is hurting me and things need to change. I need a bit more time to think about what that change might look like for myself.
Some of the things I’m grateful for this last week:
- I’ve enjoyed seeing some beautiful wildlife and nature scenes, even if only from my back garden. We’ve even seen a bit more sun these days!
- While I didn’t expect anyone to remember my birthday or anniversary without a reminder, I’d like to acknowledge the fact that my mother was the only person outside of my immediate family who did. I think she deserves that acknowledgement.
- Erin and Keith looked after my children so Cam and I could focus on our relationship for an hour and then had supper ready for us when we came to pick them up.
- I got a call on skype last weekend from a friend who’d met up with another of my friends at a winter fair. They were sharing a meal together after the fair and called to tell me about it! It feels more like a community when your dearest friends who were once separate get to know each other better. Even though I was unwell when they called, it really brightened my evening.
- I won a copy of Superfood Cuisine: Cooking With Nature’s Most Amazing Foods by Julie Morris from a giveaway on the blog Vegan Visitor. I can’t wait to get my hands on this book!