Another recipe from Quinoa 365 and an easy favourite with Cam. I did shred a little mozzarella into the soup during the making and a little more served on top but Cam was happy without the second addition on his bowl. The recipe actually called for parmesan but I only occasionally buy organic cheddar or mozzarella and used what I had on hand. I’m curious if nutritional yeast may offer the same richness without the dairy. Instead of the spinach, I used kale and beet greens, again working with what I had on hand.
Most people who know me know that I almost never use stock in my soups, at least not in my vegetarian soups. Years being on a budget has meant that if I don’t make my own stock, then we don’t have it. I honestly haven’t noticed a difference when I use water instead of stock. That being said, for this particular soup I used some veggie stock I had in my freezer and I think it was better off for it.
Here’s how I made this simple delicious soup:
- 1 cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup Carrot, diced
- 1 cup Potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 14 oz can diced Tomatoes
- 3- 4 cups Stock
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 3 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup Cheese (parmesan, mozzarella… )
- 1 cup Greens (spinach, kale, beet greens…)
- 2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- In a soup pot, sauté onion, carrot, potato and salt until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, stock, quinoa and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 18 minutes or potatoes are tender.
- Add zucchini and half the cheese and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in greens and parsley and cook until the greens wilt, about one minute.
- Sprinkle each bowl with the remaining cheese to serve.