This was really delicious- much more so than this picture would lead you to believe. One day I’ll buy the camera of my dreams.
I love this time of year when asparagus is starting to show up in the grocery store (and our farmer’s markets start soon too!). I really wished I had home made bread when we made this soup. I just didn’t make the time to get it together. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to “do it right” soon.
We found this recipe in Jamie Oliver’s Jamie at Home cookbook. A friend lent it to me the same day my mother gave me Cook with Jamie, along with Veganomicon. I’m looking forward to trying out some new recipes!
Asparagus Soup with Poached Egg and Toast
- 1.75 lbs Asparagus, woody ends removed
- Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 sticks Celery, chopped
- 2 Leeks, chopped
- 8 cups Chicken or Veggie Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- (Organic Free Range) Eggs, enough for one per serving
- Ciabatta Bread, enough for a slice or two per serving
- “Knob” of Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chop off and set aside asparagus. Roughly chop the rest of the asparagus stalks.
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil and gently fry onions, celery and leeks for around 10 minutes, until soft and sweet, without colouring.
- Add chopped asparagus stocks and stock and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper until just right, slowly so you don’t overdo it!
- Put back on heat, stir in asparagus tips and bring back to a boil. Simmer a few more minutes until tips have softened.
- Just before serving, bring 3-4 inches of water to a boil in a wide pan. Quickly crack all eggs into water to poach. They’ll only take a couple minutes and they’re better when they’re a bit runny.
- Serve the soup with the toasted buttered bread and egg on top. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and pepper.