Another recipe from Super Natural Every Day. I wasn’t sure how this recipe would go over with my kids. We don’t eat cabbage often and I was worried that they would shy away from it like they do with other foods I don’t use on at least a semi regular basis. It turns out they loved this soup and so did Cam! I was the one left feeling like there needed to be a bit more depth in the flavour. I added coconut milk at the end but it still wasn’t enough to really impress me. Perhaps it was using the last of my curry powder that wasn’t as fresh anymore? Could have gone flat after doubling the recipe? Did I really just need more salt?
I will try this recipe again, because my family loved it but also because even though I wasn’t blown away, it was still yummy.I did buy some great quality curry powder that I hope will be the ticket to making this meal even better.
Here’s what I did:
Cabbage Soup with Chickpeas, Potatoes, Garlic and Curry
- 1/2 head Cabbage
- 1 tbsp Butter or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1- 2 cups Potatoes, cubed
- 1- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups Veg Broth or Water
- 2 cups cooked Chickpeas
- 1 can Coconut Milk (optional)
- Remove any ragged leaves from the outside of the cabbage, cut out the core, and slice the leaves into ribbons no wider than a pencil and no longer than an inch. Set aside.
- Warm the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in a big pinch of salt and the potatoes. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown. Uncover stir from time to time.
- Stir in curry powder, then garlic and onion and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and chickpeas and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook for a couple more minutes, until the cabbage softens up. Don’t worry if seems like a lot of cabbage, it will collapses quite a bit.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, perhaps adding more salt and/or a can of coconut milk.