These bars were an instant favourite here. Delicious, quick and easy to make and healthy to boot.
Originally from the Superfood Cuisine cookbook, I adjusted the recipe slightly to suit my tastes. I included an egg and remove baking soda and used barley flour instead of whole wheat. I’ve enjoyed them more and more, each time I’ve made them!
Here’s what a did:
Chocolate Hemp Oat Bars
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Medjool Dates (about 10- 11), pits removed
- 1 tbsp Chia Powder or Seeds
- 1/4 cup Hemp Milk (I used So Delicious Coconut)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Barley Flour (or Whole Wheat)
- pinch Salt
- 1/3 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/3 cup dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs (or chocolate chips, or nuts)
- 3 tbsp Goji Berries, roughly chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp shredded Coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350’F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, warm to melt the coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process dates, chia powder, milk, vanilla and egg until a smooth paste is formed. While the machine is running, add the warmed coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, flour, salt and hemp hearts. Stir in the date mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate, cacao nibs, goji berries and coconut.
- Spread on the cookie sheet with a spatula to create a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the wet dough with a knife into about a dozen rectangles, or desired shape. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown and cooked through.