This may be my new go-to chocolate cake recipe. It’s absolutely delicious and being gluten free is an added bonus. This is another recipe I jotted down from the cookbook Quinoa 365. I’m definitely leaning towards actually purchasing this cookbook but a few more trial recipes will be the deciding factor.
I made this cake in part to celebrate my new cake platter but I also like the idea of making an over the top chocolate cake for no good reason at all. I think the rest of my family joyfully agrees! I iced it with the cocoa butter cream frosting I use on another favourite chocolate cake I make but I’ll share the frosting recipe again here for easy access. Damn, this cake was good. Here’s what I did:
Chocolate Quinoa Cake
- 2/3 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Milk (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Combine the quinoa and water in a lidded pot. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked. Remove from heat and stir butter into warm quinoa, melting the butter and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350’F and grease and line the bottom of two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor, process eggs, milk and vanilla. Add the cooled quinoa and butter mixture and process until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Divide into the two prepared cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or a toothpick comes out of the cake clean.
Cocoa Butter Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 2/3 cups Icing Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Cream (I’ve used chocolate soy milk, almond milk and other cream substitutes with success)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- In a medium bowl or food processor, whisk or mix together all until smooth.