Life got interesting for us a couple weeks ago. Almost life changing.
Cam’s been working on building a truck canopy with lumber he milled recently. He’s hoping to build it with a wood frame, fiberglass top and wood stripped sides much like a wooden stripped canoe. He was experimenting with different steam boxes to try bending some of the wood for this project when life got turned upside down.
He was being so careful with the boiling water and steam since he was working outside where the kids were also playing. Despite his precautions the hose moving the steam from the boiling water to the steam box wrapped around the pot of boiling water, tipping it over on his ankle and foot. I’m not sure what he said or what sound he made but the intent was clear and I came running. He was taking his shoes and socks off and I was hosing down his burned foot.
The massive burn was devastating! It covers his ankle and half way to his toes and is categorised as almost third degree. After a good dosing of cold water we covered it with lavender oil and bandaging slathered with manuka honey. The terrible pain soothed sooner than we’d hoped but knew the biggest struggled Cam would face would be infection that would very likely set in with such a large burn.
Another week went by before the infection was obvious. Cam went to see the doctor who gave him a prescription for antibiotics. Instead of getting better though, his foot swelled more than I would have thought it capable and was worringly red so he headed to the hospital. His doctor decided to give him antibiotic via iv, administered three times a day. After three days, they reassessed and it was still not any better.
This is where I started to write a blog post in my head about drug resistant bacteria and how angry I am that we are recklessly irresponsible when it comes to inappropriate antibiotic use and the general hysteria around bacteria. Antimicrobial products, hand sanitiser and the like all play a part in increasing drug resistance in bacteria.
Cam’s still going up to the hospital three times a day but his foot is back to it’s normal colouring and the swelling is starting to come down. It’s likely he’ll still be recovering and unable to wear shoes for another few weeks. I suppose he’s not totally out of the rhubarb yet but I’m not quite as frightened as I was a few days ago when I was faced with just how bad the consequences of this accident could be. Could he lose his foot, his leg, his life?