I have to admit, once I started making this quiche I was a little worried. How can you have quiche without eggs? I love eggs! I was also having bad memories of a “yeast pie” I made years and years ago. It wasn’t actually a yeast pie but a veggie pot pie with a tad too much nutritional yeast in the crust. It was inedible. Cam and I have only thrown out two uneaten meals in our ten years together and that yeast pie catastrophe was one of them.
After a quick call to Paxye for moral support and I was back at it with confidence. This meal turned out great and I look forward to making it again. It was truly delicious, especially with home made crust.
I used Joy the Baker‘s Buttermilk Pie Crust but adjusted the recipe and instructions a bit to suit my needs. I only needed a bottom crust and instead of buttermilk, I used almond milk. I was also pinched for time so I cut a few corners. Despite the changes the crust turned out marvellously. It was flaky and delicious! Here’s what I did:
Almond Milk Pie Crust (double for a top and bottom crust)
- 1/2 cup cold Unsalted Butter (or vegan version), cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- Put the cubed butter in the freezer to chill for about 15 minutes. Measure out the almond milk and pop it in the freezer for a few minutes too.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor with the dough blade in place. Take the cold butter from the freezer and process it with the flour mixture until lumpy.
- While the machine is processing, add the cold almond milk. Once the dough has come together, wrap the dough well in wax paper in disc shape and put in the fridge for an hour (or while you are making the quiche filling). (Can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.)
- Roll out into a circle big enough for pie pan (preferably deep dish or cast iron skillet).
- Transfer the pie filling mixture to the pie shell.
Broccoli and Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche
- 1 block Firm Tofu
- 2 tbsp Veg Oil (I use non gmo canola)
- 3 Onions, sliced into half moons
- 4-5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 bunch Broccoli, chopped into small florets and stalk into small cubes
- 3/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2- 1 tsp Garlic Chilli Paste
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Cracked Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350’F
- In a food processor process tofu until smooth and creamy- adding water if necessary, to help with the texture.
- In a saute pan, heat oil on medium heat, add onions stir and let caramelise.
- Add the garlic and broccoli, saute until soft.
- In a large bowl combine tofu and broccoli mixture along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Roll out pie crust and put in pie pan or make smaller versions with muffin tins.
- Fill pie crust with tofu mixture and bake until golden.