An old favourite from a Best of Bridge cookbook, I made this cake again for a friend’s belated birthday.
I wish I could say I have a better picture to show you. I was feeling the pressure to just snap a shot while I heard jokes behind me like “it hasn’t happened unless a picture is taken”. The jokes stopped short once we tasted this wonderfully delicious cake. Rich but not overly so and I love the underlying orange flavour. If cream were a more common part of our diet, I’d probably make this cake for more occasions. (eta. I’ve since added new photos below…)
Raspberry Topped Chocolate Torte
- 2/3 cup ground Almond
- 3 tbsp Flour
- pinch of Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Grand Marnier, Cointreau, or Orange Juice
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 2 cups Raspberries
- Chocolate Curls (in a pinch you can melt chocolate chips earlier in the day and let them cool into a block shape, ready to make curls with a peeler later when you need them.)
- Grease and line with parchment a 9 in springform pan. Preheat oven to 375’F.
- In a small bowl, combine ground almond, flour and salt and set aside.
- Melt butter in a double boiler or saucepan and stir in cocoa and sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick. Gradually blend in cocoa mixture. Stir in almond mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff while gradually adding the second amount of sugar. Fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture, careful not to over fold.
- Pour into springform pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outside edges and remove sides of springform pan.
- Torte will fall in the middle. Don’t worry, you’ll be filling it with whipped cream.
- Drizzle and spread the 3 tbsp of liquor or juice over cake. Cool completely and wrap with plastic wrap. (This can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.)
- Whip cream and fold in second amount of liquor. Spread on torte and decorate with berries and chocolate curls.