I know what you’re thinking. Where are the blueberries in this picture? I thought I still had blueberries in my freezer but it turns out I didn’t. I didn’t even have raspberries or strawberries. I could have run to the store but didn’t relish the idea of packing up the kids for a truck ride and grocery store visit so we made due without. Regardless, these made a lovely meal and are even more delicious with blueberries. (I’ve updated this post with blueberry filled corn cake pictures!)
Originally this recipe is from the Rebar cookbook but here’s what I did:
Buttermilk Corn Cakes with Blueberries
- 1 1/3 cup fine Cornmeal
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp stone ground Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Demerara Sugar
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce (or Yogurt)
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp melted Butter (or Oil)
- 2 cup Blueberries
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and stir in remaining wet ingredients, expect blueberries.
- Combine wet to dry, gently stirring together but don’t over mix. Let sit for 5 minutes. This is a wet batter.
- Make sure your pan is hot and oiled when you start pouring the batter to make the cakes. While one side is cooking put blueberries on the other of the batter. Flip and finish cooking.
- Serve with butter and real maple syrup or apple sauce.