This recipe is based on a recipe Erin shared here. She generously shared her family recipe and I had a really fun time making these cookies with my kids. The finished cookies melted in our mouths! We made some rolled in finely chopped walnuts and some rolled in shredded coconut. We used pomegranate jam and raspberry jam. I can’t tell you which were my favourites; they were all so good!
I followed the recipe with only a couple small adjustments. Here’s what I did:
- 1 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- splash of Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Walnuts, finely chopped (and/or shredded Coconut or…)
- good quality Jam
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and line two cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Separate the eggs putting the whites into a bowl to set aside and add the egg yolks and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture, blending until creamy.
- Add the flour about a 1/4 cup at a time, working in until evenly mixed. By the last 1/4 cup I was using my hands to bring the dough together.
- Roll dough into small balls about 1 1/2″ in diameter. Roll the balls in the egg whites and then roll in the bowl of finely chopped nuts. I also rolled some in a bowl of coconut. Place on cookie sheet and gently, insert a thimble to create an indent.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes. When cool, spoon a small heap of jam into centres.