This is a meal that my dh makes more often than I do. Stir fries are so easy and adaptable. Included in this recipe is a “how to” for cooking rice. Ever since my dear friend Justine filled me in, I’m excited to make rice all the time. It turns out perfect each time.
Cooking Rice Justine Style
- Add rice to pot. It doesn’t really matter how much.
- Add water so that it is one knuckles worth above the rice.
- Bring to a boil and boil until the water level is equal with the rice.
- Turn down, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Alternatively you can turn the heat right off for the 25 minutes.
Broccoli and Almond Stir Fry
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Almonds, slivered or chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp or so Ginger, grated
- 1 lb Broccoli
- Any other veggies you want to add (carrot, celery, onion, peppers…)
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
- Crush coriander seeds with mortar and pestle or in a small food processor and set aside. If you use a small food processor you can prepare the garlic and ginger in it next.
- Chop broccoli and other veg and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat and add the coriander seeds and almonds and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic, ginger and veggies to the wok. Toss and saute until cooked. Sometimes I had a small amount of water to the wok and cover to quickly steam the veggies.
- Combine vinegar, tamari, and sesame oil to make the sauce and toss over finished stir fry. Remove from heat.
- Serve over rice with almonds and sesame seeds.