The recipe calls for sweet potatoes but I much prefer the darker orange yams. Some would say that sweet potatoes are darker orange and yams are paler yellow but that’s not the way we see it here…
This soup is creamy and delicious! It’s also extremely simple to make.
Thai Yam Soup
- 2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 1 Kefir Lime Leaves
- 2 tsp Red Curry Paste
- 6 cups Sweet Potato or Yam, peeled and roughly chopped
- 7 cups Veggie Stock or Water
- 1 stick Lemongrass
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In large pot, saute onion, garlic and lime leaves for about 10 min.
- With a mallet of some sort crush the lemongrass.
- Add curry paste and cook for one minute. Then add sweet potato, water/stock, lemon grass and peanut butter.
- Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until sweet potato is soft and take off heat.
- Remove lime leaves and lemongrass and then puree with immersion blender.
- Whisk in coconut milk and add salt to taste.
- Gently reheat so as not to boil the soup now with the coconut milk in it. It may separate otherwise.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and a hearty bread or Baking Powder Biscuit!