That’s what I spent on groceries this week. Boy am I glad that I try so hard to spend so little when grocery shopping. It’s really tight around here now and in the very near future and yet it’s not a struggle to make great meals with not much money. This total that I spent yesterday includes a few staples and a couple things contributed to make pakoras at a friend’s this afternoon. It doesn’t include the chicken and bacon I bought last week for a meal I want to try this week. The chickens were a bit cheaper then, so I picked up three and put a couple in the freezer.
This morning at the grocery store, I had to get creative and make some last minute changes. This is what I’m planning on making this week:
- Shepherd’s Pie (I can’t believe I haven’t posted the recipe for this yet!)
- Bhangra Burrito with Chickpea Potato Curry and Spinach
- Roast Chicken wrapped in Bacon with Roasted Potatoes and Leeks
- Tortilla Soup (my favourite way to make a second meal out of the chicken I use the night before)
- Caramelised Onion and Sauted Spinach Pizza with Peanut Sauce
- Kung Pao Tofu (originally from Happy Vegan Face)
- Squash and Bean Saute
My choices seem to either be made because I just really want to eat something again or because I have to make what I already have work. Last week I made a Squash and Bean Saute (which is so much better than it’s plain name suggests!) and I ended up with more squash than I needed. I was able to buy another small one which will make this meal work again.
I’ve been really enjoying sharing my weekly meal plans!