This is obviously a vegan brownie but I admit I use real butter in the icing. You will not be disappointed if you make this brownie!
The brownie in this picture was the last in the pan. I was able to sneak it away for a quick photo before it was gobbled up with the rest of them!
Rebar‘s Famous Vegan Brownie
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Demerara Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Coffee (or made Cocoa)
- 3/4 cup) Soy Milk
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, roasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (or Carob)
- Preheat oven to 325′ and grease a 9 x 9 pan. (I happen to not have this size so I use a 8 x 8 and then a tiny bread pan for a small sample size)
- In a large bowl, stir to combine (so there aren’t any lumps) flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl combine coffee, soy milk and oil.
- Add wet to dry and mix well.
- Stir in walnuts and pour into prepared pans.
- Sprinkle top with chocolate chips and then bake for 25 minutes or until a inserted knife comes out clean.
- When brownies are cool, make the icing.
- 7 oz (210 g) Dark Chocolate (in a pinch I use chocolate chips)
- 5 oz (150 g) Butter (Vegan or not)
- Use a kitchen scale to weigh out chocolate and butter.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together. Whisk thoroughly to get smooth and not streaky.
- Pour while still warm on brownie and place in fridge to help set.