I found this amazing recipe on a blog somewhere and after jotting down the details I gave it a whirl. Darn it, I can’t find the blog to link to so if you recognise this recipe after my changes please let me know! I’d love to give you credit and say thank you! It was so delicious!
My homemade Tortillas recipe here. I usually cook the tortillas in my cast iron skillet while the soup was simmering.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 8 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Onions, chopped
- 1 Red or Green Pepper, chopped
- 3 Jalapenos, diced (or a couple small spoons of garlic chili paste)
- 2 Chicken breasts, skinless (or leftover chicken, chopped)
- 6 Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tsp Cumin
- 8 cups Chicken stock (I bought a whole chicken and made stock with the carcass)
- 1 1/2 cups Corn, canned or frozen
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Salt and Pepper
- In large pot, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic, chili paste and peppers until soft.
- Add chicken breasts, tomatoes, cumin and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until breasts are cooked through (about 15 minutes). Remove from pot and shred with forks and put meat back in soup. Add corn and tomato paste and simmer a further 30 min.
- If you are making your own tortillas, this is a good time to cook them. I simply cut them into strips after they were all cooked. If you are using bought tortillas, this is the time that you’ll want to heat a little oil in a cast iron skillet and add cut strips to fry until all sides are crisp. When you put these aside, sprinkle with a little salt.
- Serve soup with avocado, cilantro, (cheese)… Anything you like.
Homemade tortillas are so worth it!