I first made this faux rice to share a meal with friends on the GAPS diet and it didn’t disappoint. Since then it’s become a side dish we like to make routinely. I love its simplicity and the taste is wonderful!
It’s pictured here with Quinoa Cakes made with red quinoa and without the aioli sauce. (I can’t wait to get back to the time of year when taking pictures of supper meals isn’t so tricky!) Here’s what I did:
Spanish Cauliflower Faux Rice
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1- 2 Red or Orange Pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 cups pureed canned Tomatoes (or equal alternate)
- 1 Cauliflower, grated or finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a cast iron (or other) skillet and sauté the onions until they begin to soften.
- Add the peppers, garlic, and spices. Stir thoroughly and allow to cook until softened.
- Stir in the pureed tomato.
- Add the cauliflower and continue to cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until the cauliflower has reached desired softness and some of the liquid cooks off a bit. I like to cook while stirring frequently until the “rice” almost browns a bit.