It’s been a busy last couple weeks for me. You see, the day before I left for my trip to Vancouver with Lily I got a phone call with a job offer. A paying job, no less and one I can do with my kids in tow. I’m organising this year’s local craft fair. It’s a pretty big deal up here and I’m thrilled to be doing it. I want to blog more about this soon but for now I wanted to explain my lack of presence here and the blogs I follow. I’m still reading, just a couple times a week instead of every couple days. In fact, this lack of blogging time is becoming a wonderful opportunity to get caught up with all the recipes I’ve been meaning to post.
Oh man, these quesadillas are so good! You know a meal is a serious success when the kids don’t pick out the one or two ingredients they don’t normally love and the plates are licked clean. This is one of those meals for us.
This favourite recipe comes from Quinoa 365. Simple ingredients and simple to make. Here’s what I did:
Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup cooked Black Beans
- 1/2 cup fresh Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1/2 cup Green Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, minced
- Cheese , shredded (we use just enough to help everything stick together)
- Tortillas (you can’t beat home made)
- In a medium pot, bring quinoa and water to boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit covered for 5 more minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375′. (I like also using my pizza stone and preheating it in the oven as well)
- Combine quinoa, black beans in a medium bowl and mash together.
- Add tomatoes, corn, green onion and cilantro and mix together.
- Layer tortilla, a little cheese, a thick helping of the quinoa black bean mixture, cheese and tortilla. Place in the oven (on the pizza stone) and cook for about 12 minutes and cheese melts. Cut into wedges and enjoy!