This is a superb recipe from The Rebar Cookbook. This is a more recent favourite meal we make. I’ll often make baking powder biscuits along with it because they’re easy and well, I make baking powder biscuits in one way or another with most soups I make.
Here’s what I do:
Carrot Lemongrass Coconut Soup
- 1 large Onion, roughly diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 3 Lemongrass Stalks, cutting off root end. Discard top and peel off outer layer or two. With broad knife smash to crush open. Mince.
- 1/2 tsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds, ground
- 2 lbs Carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Course Salt
- 8 cups Water or stock
- 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves, fresh or frozen (I omit or use lime leaves from a friend’s tree)
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Garlic Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- juice of one Lemon
- Cilantro, chopped
- Spring Onion, chopped
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and 1 tsp of salt. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste and coriander and saute and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and remaining salt. Saute for several minutes.
- Add water and lime leaves and bring to a boil and then simmer until carrots are soft.
- Remove lime leaves and puree soup with immersion blender until smooth. Whisk in coconut milk and chilli paste and simmer gently for another 15 minutes. Just before serving add lemon zest and juice. Garnish each bowl with cilantro and spring onion.
Baking Powder Biscuits
I make various versions of this basic recipe. Sometimes I add course salt instead of regular. Something I add herbs I’m adding to a soup or meal….
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter or Shortening
- 3/4 cup) Milk (I use almond)
- Preheat oven 400′ F.
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry cutter.
- Stir in milk until you can’t continue with a spoon and knead by hand bring together. Don’t over knead. Pat down on counter with the palm of your hand until it’s about a centimetre thick.
- Cut out with round cookie cutter and place on baking tray.
- Bake until golden brown on bottom, about 10 minutes.