Wow. I love this new recipe and have made it three times in the last two weeks. I thought it would be worth sharing with all of you too! This recipe came from Vegan Planet (one of my favourite cookbooks that I thought lost until I found it on my mother’s bookshelf… hmmm…) but I’ve tweaked it as usual.
Tortillas (I’ve also wrapped the burgers in whole romaine lettuce leaves instead of tortillas)
You can’t beat homemade tortillas. After you make these you’ll never want to store bought again!
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 10 tbsp (150 ml) Lard or Unsalted Butter (lard is better)
- 1 1/2 cup Hot Water
- In a large bowl mix together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry cutter, cut in lard or butter until pea sized balls form.
- Slowly add hot water while mixing with wooden spoon. Knead with hands for a couple minutes when dough is stiff and hard to mix.
- Shape into a ball and put in a bowl covered and let rest 1 hour.
- Pinch off a bit bigger than golf ball sized balls of dough and roll in hands.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on counter and roll out ball of dough, flipping over and rolling again until you have a thin circle. You can put these aside with sprinkled flour or parchment stacked in between but I usually cook and roll out at the same time.
- Heat an oiled cast iron pan over medium heat. Turn tortillas when you see bubbles form underneath and finish the second side when it’s golden.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1/4 cup Tamari
- 1/4 cup Water or more if needed
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Chili Paste
- 1 tsp Demerara Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
In small food processor (or large one before you make the burgers), combine all and blend. Adjust to taste and add more water if too thick.
Thai Peanut Burgers
- 3/4-1 Red Onion
- 1 Red or Green pepper (or try adding broccoli or…)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 tsp Ginger
- 1 cup Unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu, cubed (Navy Beans or Pinto Beans work well too)
- 6 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 4 tbsp Basil or Cilantro, chopped
- 4 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tsp Garlic Chili Paste
- Bread Crumbs, ground (I use panko bread crumbs)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350’F if baking patties. You could fry them in a pan alternatively.
- In food processor process onion, pepper, garlic, ginger and peanuts. Pulse to blend but leave some texture.
- Add tofu, peanut butter, basil or cilantro, tamari, chili paste and salt to taste. Pulse until well combined.
- Add bread crumbs and continue to process until you reach the desired consistency.
- If baking, arrange burgers on lightly oiled baking sheet and bake turning once until browned on both sides about 25-30 min. If frying, form into patties and cook on a hot skillet.
Options to assemble wraps:
- Cut burgers into halves or thirds and place them end to end on tortillas. Top with chopped romaine lettuce and drizzle with spicy peanut sauce. Roll up and enjoy.
- Stack two whole pieces of romaine lettuce on top of each other. Put a burger on one half and drizzle with spicy peanut sauce. Fold lettuce over on top of burger patty and enjoy!