Unconventional supper? How about if I told you I made these hotcakes with Brown Basmati Pudding with coconut, cardamom and ginger to go with it. What can I say? I was having one of those days. Cam was in the middle of working night shifts, my house looked ransacked and all I wanted was breakfast for supper. It could have only been better with my go to comfort food, hashbrowns.
Thanks Rebar Cookbook for this great recipe. You’re always there when I need you.
Whole Wheat Hotcakes with wheatgerm and buttermilk
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat Germ
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl lightly whisk eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry and combine. Don’t overmix! Let batter sit for a few minutes before making the hot cakes.
Consider adding any of the following to make the hot cakes more interesting:
- raspberries, orange zest
- grated fresh apple, ground cardamon
- banana slices, nutmeg, pecans
- pumpkin puree, cinnamon, freshly grated ginger
- fresh peach slices, nutmeg, flax seed meal
- blackberries, lemon zest