Inspired by a post on The Long Thread, today we made salt dough hearts! Super easy and fun. We didn’t poke holes to hang them this time although next time I might do half the batch that way. Being able to hang them on a ribbon to give to friends could be really neat.
We plan on sending a few to friends in honour of February 14th which we call, Reminding You That I Love You Day.
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- Preheat oven to 250′
- Mix together salt and flour.
- Add water and combine until dough like. Add a touch more flour if too sticky.
- Roll out on board 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 2 hours. Poke holes in each shape before baking if you want to hang on ribbon.
- Let cool before painting with acrylic or other paint.
Poor Leif kept asking to eat these hearts because they look so much like cookies. We ended up making a batch of sugar cookies too when we were finished painting!