This recipes comes with big thanks to Kate aka MamaYou who shared this originally on her new blog. Kate inspires me with her stunning photography- you should check her out.
Maybe not the most exciting dish to look at, Mjeddrah is sure to become a favourite here. I could tell I’d love it when I smelled the cooking lentil mixture and then we were all impressed with the taste.
- 3 to 3.5 tbsp Canola Oil (the recipe originally called for olive but I used good quality non gmo canola)
- 2 large Onions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice
- 4 1/2 cups Water
- Salad Fixings (Lettuce, Spinach, Green Onion, Cucumber, Tomato, Sprouts, Radish, Red Pepper…)
- In a large lidded skillet, saute onion in oil with the salt sprinkled on top for a couple minutes. Add lentils and rice and saute until onions translucent and rice opaque.
- Add water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Serve lentil mixture on lettuce or spinach with other ingredients on top with dressing.
- 6 tbsp Safflower Oil or other
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard or 1/2-1 tsp Djion Mustard
- 2 clovea Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Garlic Chilli Paste (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Combine all in a lidded jar and shake.
I guesstimated with the mustard and honey. I also added the chilli paste for a bit more zing. I made this dressing recipe again the next day with the leftovers because we used all the dressing the night before. You can also serve this meal in a tortilla instead of open faced if you prefer.