I’ve been so busy snapping pictures that I haven’t taken time to blog about all the things I’ve been thinking about these days. One of the things most on my mind is thinking about how to make our mark on this house. I have so many ideas but don’t know where to start, or what would be the most sensible way to approach the things needing to be done.
Things I’d like to do to the house:
- Paint the sunroom. Right now it’s not a bad looking green but this green doesn’t seem to fit any of my possibilities for colour on the front door. I’m thinking something tealish for the walls? Maybe a less punchy version of one of these below? There isn’t much wall space so I think we can get away with some bigger colour.
- Paint the front door some bold colour. Our house in pretty plain from the outside. This would be an easy fix to help it stand out. Maybe something redish like this? (Unfortunately I couldn’t find the actual colours I’m considering online.)
- Paint the living room walls. Maybe something with yellow tones in it? The front room doesn’t have a window and gets light from the sun room in front and a large window in the back half of the living room. We also need to put up proper base boards and crown moulding, which I’d like to keep white. The back half of the living room is filled with the kid’s things. I struggle with colour ideas for the whole living room because I don’t want it to all be different and crazy coloured. I’d like the house to flow, be natural and yet perhaps a bit whimsical.
- Redo the bathroom. As it is right now, the sink is a little tiny space in the corner of the room. One step back and you’re in the toilet! We need a new tub and rearrange the room with the tub on the back wall and toilet and new vanity where the tub is currently. Our neighbour plans to tear down his house and he thinks he has an old cast iron tub we could have to refinish. Claw foot tubs don’t seem too hard to find either for a good price.
- Do something in the kitchen. It’s covered in two different wallpapers and a bright yellow in the dining room. We really have space issues as well in the kitchen. I thought that adding shelving would be enough but it seems we need to do something more. Cam’s making a chopping block island which will help.
- Paint the spare room and recover the futon. My mother in law made Cam this cover for the futon before we were married. I have to admit I didn’t like the pattern 10 years ago and it hasn’t grown on me since. Now that the futon is in a more public space, I’d like to recover it with something a little more our style. We also need some serious shelving for my sewing supplies.
- Paint the bedrooms. Again, I want something subtle and yet colourful. Maybe very pale (not pastel) colours. Lily wants something like lilac and we have a red/orange/yellow duvet cover I can’t seem to make work with any colour choices. I suppose I could just get us a new cover…
So there you have it. Some of the projects running around in my head. We might do all or only some of these projects but they’re minor enough (most of them) that I think with a little colour help from (you) friends, it won’t be too much of a stretch to get done.