Love this simple dish. It’s a meal I make when I don’t have time or energy for anything else. Every ingredient, except parsley is a staple in my home so it’s easy to make at any time!
The recipe originally came from the Vegan Planet cook book but of course I’ve adjusted the recipe to suit my tastes.
Indian Spiced Quinoa with Shallots and Pine Nuts
- 1.5 cups Quinoa
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 4-5 Shallots, minced or cut into half moons
- 2 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 3 cups Veggie Stock or Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts, toasted
- 2-4 tbsp Parsley, minced
- 1/3 cup Golden Raisins (optional)
- Rinse quinoa well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and ginger and cook, stirring, until the shallots are slightly softened, about one minute.
- Add the quinoa along with the spices and stir to coat with oil.
- Stir in stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and adjust seasonings. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. I’ll often throw the chopped broccoli on top of the quinoa before it’s finished cooking. It saves using an extra pot for steaming.
- Remove from heat and stir in pine nuts, parsley and optional raisins.