This is a long time favourite. It makes me think of 10 years ago travelling from the Kootenay’s to the coast to buy a car. Before I drove home in my new car, I stayed at my cousin’s house where I was introduced to this amazing meal. Tofu wasn’t something I loved and this recipe definitely helped change my mind!
This recipe has changed a bit over the years but it’s still a favourite stand by meal for when I don’t have much in the fridge or when we’ve had a day adventuring and not much time or energy to put together a great meal.
The “spicy” tofu is so wonderful with the creamy quinoa. This is a great meal. Normally I serve this with steamed broccoli but I didn’t happen to have any on hand the night I took this picture. It was good none the less.
Paxye shared a version of this meal here.
Crispy Fried Tofu on Coconut Quinoa
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 2 packages Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
- Peanut Oil
- Sesame Oil
- small Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1.5 cups Quinoa, uncooked
- can of Coconut Milk
- zest of lime (optional)
- Green Onion, chopped
- Mix first 8 ingredients together in a bowl. Add cubed tofu and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat a medium pot on medium high. Add sesame oil (you don’t want to burn it). Add onion, garlic and ginger and saute until soft.
- Add quinoa and stir into onion mixture allowing it to toast for a moment. Add coconut milk, one can of water and zest to the mix. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down to simmer until quinoa is cooked. About 10 minutes. It will be finished before it’s absorbed all the liquid and you don’t want it too dry!
- Once quinoa is cooking, heat peanut oil in wok. Add tofu and saute until crisp.
- Serve tofu on quinoa with chopped green onion. This is a delicious addition not to be missed!